Join us, and use your skills to make a real difference!
Human Appeal is a global humanitarian and development organisation. Our projects support child welfare, emergency relief – such as healthcare, medicine, nutrition and shelter – and long-term sustainability in livelihoods and education. In the UK, our work has included responding to the Manchester Arena attack and Grenfell Tower disaster, as well as our annual, award-winning ‘Wrap-Up’ campaign to support homeless people.SEE OUR CURRENT VACANCIES
What’s special about working at Human Appeal?
At Human Appeal, we take pride in the fact that our staff are from different walks of life. You don’t have to be from any particular religion, ethnicity or culture. Our staff members around the world are all driven by a simple human instinct to help other humans in trouble, regardless of creed or colour. Whether you are looking to join our Communications, Fundraising, Finance, HR, IT or Programmes team, you will be part of a multicultural family with great rewards, industry-leading benefits, and competitive rates of pay.
We’re passionate about recruiting and retaining a diverse, and talented workforce and giving them the rewards that they deserve.
Our Reward and Recognition Scheme is filled with benefits that reward your commitment and achievements, enables your career progression, and prioritises your work-life balance, health, and wellbeing.
Human Appeal is an energetic and ambitious organisation, but we understand that to get the best from you, we must give our best by encouraging a good work-life balance.
• You’re entitled to 22 days of Annual Leave, as well as 8 UK Bank Holidays.
• We provide 2 company holidays for both Eid’al’Fitr and Eid’al’Adha celebrations (4 days in total per year).
• We give you every birthday off work. If your birthday falls on a weekend, you can choose to celebrate with a day off on either the Friday or Monday instead!
• Staff with 3+ years of service also receive one extra day of Annual Leave entitlement per year, up to a maximum of 5 days, to say thank you for your loyalty.
• After 8 years of service you will have 40 days off work each year.
• You can carry over unused Annual Leave days (up to a maximum of 3) into the following year, to provide flexibility.
• We have a Time-Off In Lieu (TOIL) Policy to ensure that any over-time worked is rewarded with equivalent half or full days off.
• We support new parents. Staff with 3+ years of service are entitled to an extended package of Maternity and Paternity Pay. For new mothers, this means fully paid maternity leave for 13 weeks (just over 3 months), then a further 13 weeks at 50% of their salary, followed by another 13 weeks at the standard rate of Statutory Maternity Pay. Meanwhile, new fathers are entitled to up to 3 weeks of Paternity Leave to be taken anytime within 4 months of the birth of their child. We also offer a package of Shared Parental Leave, for any new parents who want to split their Maternity and Paternity Leave periods more equally.Search our current vacancies
Human Appeal is growing, and we want you to grow with us. We’re committed to providing ample opportunities to improve your knowledge, skillset, and confidence and achieve your career goals.
• We enroll you on a minimum of 2 appropriate training courses per year.
• We have our own bespoke e-learning platform, offering you access to hundreds of relevant, free online training courses.
• We sponsor a limited amount of MA degrees or equivalent further education courses (e.g., ACCA accounting qualifications) per year.Search our current vacancies
Some of the humanitarian response work we do can mean dealing with distressing stories, data, and images, and we take our responsibility to ensure your mental and physical health and wellbeing very seriously.
• Our Employee Assistance Programme is a free and confidential resource, including an online portal and telephone helpline which is staffed 24/7 by trained counsellors who are always ready to provide a listening ear and support.
• Where necessary, we can also refer employees for a block of 6 x free, 1-hour sessions with a dedicated, specialist counsellor.
• Along with our responsibility to provide physical First Aid training, we also ensure that we have a team of staff trained in Mental Health First Aid in order to provide targeted support to their wider colleagues
• Our People and Culture team conduct annual ‘wellbeing calls’ with all staff, to check in, and can increase this level of contact and support where necessary.
• All staff are entitled to a period of paid sick leave, and those staff with 2+ years of service can receive up to 20 days of full sickness pay, and then a further period of Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) support.
• You’ll have 24/7 access to a GP consultation service for quick and convenient advice and reassurance. This service includes a face-to-face webcam consultation and private prescription service for all employees and their immediate family members, including their spouse and any dependent children.
• We have formed a Wellbeing Committee from a diverse range of staff, representing different departments and demographics across the organization, who have volunteered to work together to develop new wellbeing and engagement initiatives for staff, based on their preferences.Search our current vacancies
We appreciate that the cost of living is getting higher, and provide as much support as possible towards your financial expenditures. For example:
• We offer loan schemes if you wish to buy a new mobile phone, laptops and bicycle, whereby we cover the upfront cost of the item and this is then paid back in monthly instalments through your salary.
• Our Rewards Scheme offers discounted gym membership at 3,000 gyms, including branches of PureGym, Fitness First, Nuffield Health, Virgin Active and many more.
• We have teamed up with an online benefits site to offer all staff discounts and special offers on hundreds of well-known brands, that cover travel, shopping, eating out and much more, e.g., Tesco, Argos, John Lewis, Costa, Pizza Hut, Tui, Currys PC World, and Alton Towers.
• We have partnered with a benefits organization to provide financial support towards various healthcare costs, including dental, optical, hearing, physiotherapy, osteopathy, chiropractic, acupuncture, chiropody, homeopathy and reflexology.
• Our benefits partner organisation also offers various insurance packages that staff can pay towards from their salary before tax, for a cheaper deal. This includes life, travel, cancer and personal accident insurance.Search our current vacancies
As a faith-based organisation inspired by Islamic values, our culture embraces the observation, and celebration of our diverse workforce’s multi-faiths. This includes:
• A dedicated prayer space at our Head Office in Cheadle, complete with the provision of prayer mats.
• Appropriate wash facilities in the bathrooms at our Head Office in Cheadle, to enable pre-prayer washing rituals.
• An hour of free worship time every Friday afternoon. Our male Muslim staff like to use this opportunity to conduct Jummah prayer at a local mosque, for example, but all staff are invited to use this time to worship in any way which aligns with their faith, if they practice any other religion.
• Our Muslim staff are likely to fast during Ramadan, which will mean interrupted sleep patterns with late dinners and early breakfasts, and lower energy levels through the day. Therefore, at this time every year we introduce a Ramadan Rota to enable all employees to work adapted hours if they choose (e.g., shorter working days for 6 days per week).
If you’re based at our Cheadle Head Office, we offer some additional facilities to make your working day easier:
• Free on-site car parking, and a bike shelter, is available to use on a first come first served basis.
• Unlimited free tea and coffee. There are also water dispensers and vending machines available at our Head Office in Cheadle.
• Fridays at all of our UK offices are dress-down days, where we relax our ‘business dress’ dress code as we ease into the weekend.Search our current vacancies