Retail and Community Liaison Officer
We are on the lookout for an enterprising and talented individual to manage the day to day operations of their respected shop and to deliver a portfolio of community work to enhance our projects. It is a fantastic mix of community engagement and retail enterprise. We are therefore looking for the perfect blend of skills and experience to match this exciting opportunity.
With previous retail experience, you will be able to demonstrate strong leadership skills and commercial awareness. With a hands-on approach, you will have the ability to recruit and motivate a team of staff and volunteers to maximise sales and generate income to support the work of Human Appeal.
You will enjoy providing excellent customer service and will have the passion and skills to maximise income to ensure your store meets its targets. You will also have a commitment to promoting awareness of Human Appeal through establishing good relationship and networks via outreach work within the local community.
The role, team and culture would suit an engaging, positive self-starter who enjoys collaborative working and instinctively takes ownership and responsibility. Also has the ability to manage diverse workloads and multiple priorities within a busy environment.
If you share our mission, are passionate about making it happen and strongly believe you can contribute to our quest for changing lives, at the same time want to be inspired by the possibilities ahead of you, then join us and we will give you our full support and every opportunity to succeed. We offer all our staffs opportunities to visit the field offices, to get real insight in to the projects we run and to see the real changes we are making to the lives of our beneficiaries.
Include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for recruiting, retaining and co-ordination of volunteers. Develop sustainable relationship with the local communities and organisations, through networking and outreach work. Actively participate in community engagement activities.
- Responsible for the management of the site including all retail operations and donations. Ensuring daily/weekly sales and donation targets are achieved.
- Ensure that the shop enhances the profile of Human Appeal in the community and there is a synergy between fundraising and retail business activities.
- Manage, support and supervise all staff and volunteers to ensure the shop is manned at all times.
- Ensure the fundraising team is supported with HA policy and procedure in the management of funds raised and associated process.
- Ensure that customer service is delivered to a high standard in a sensitive and professional manner and that the shop provides a welcoming environment for the customer.
- To be responsible for the maintenance of statutory and good practice systems relevant to the charity. Ensure the shop premises comply with all relevant legislation and the exposure to risk is minimised through safe practice and awareness of health and safety rules.
- To work with Business Development Manager with relevant information and support in maximising the success of the shops and to meet the relevant strategic operational goals.
- Work within agreed Human Appeal policies, procedures and guidelines. Ensure all staff and volunteers adhere to them.
- To ensure the shop has a high standard of display and presentation, through stock control and product rotation. Maximise opportunities to publicise all Human Appeal fundraising activities in the shop and in the local community.
- Providing customers with general assistance and information, liaising with other internal areas of the business so that the donation can be arranged and delivered on time.
- Arrange and participate in meetings, conferences and team activities that will involve some traveling across the UK.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Relevant retail experience.
- Worked in a customer focused environment.
- Flexibility to work around the needs of the business.
- Excellent organisational skills, ability to priorities and to multi-task.
- Fluency in English.
- Passionate about delivering an excellent customer service to all our donors, customers and staff.
- Attention to detail and a high awareness of accuracy.
- Ability to respond to timeframes and deadlines with pace.
- Willingness to learn and progress.
- Flexible and adaptable to change.
- You will be a well-organised presentable individual who is competitive and committed to targets and deadlines.
- Effective communicator who is able to develop strong relationships with the fundraising team, key people within the company and external organisations.
- Keen to learn about company initiatives, campaign and develop on-going product awareness.
- Bilingual in Arabic, Bengali, French, Urdu.
- Knowledge of Islamic charitable giving e.g. Zakat, Qurbani, Waqf, Fitrana, Fidya etc.
- Minimum of 2 years in similar post.
- Able to work weekends and evenings.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team and alone.
- Ability to work under pressure, manage time and prioritise work to deadlines.
- Flexible working approach.
- Attention to detail.
- Computer literate and competent with Microsoft office.
- Comfortable working with members of the public and volunteers.
- Comfortable with manual handling and lifting stock.
- Graduate, Relevant fundraising or sales related qualification.
- Evidence of continuing professional development.
- Must adhere to the charities policies and procedures, e.g. Health & Safety at Work, Freedom of Information Act 2000, Data Protection Act 1998, Equal Opportunities, Company Handbook, Quality Management System, Investor in People etc. at all times.
- Will respect the confidentiality of all matters relating to their employment and other members of staff.
- To demonstrate on-going professional development through reflective practice and participation in internal and external development opportunities as evidenced in a Continuing Professional Development portfolio.
- To participate in the appraisal process and ensure that agreed objectives are achieved, taking responsibility for directing own learning and development activities (e.g. private study, e-learning).
- To attend and contribute positively to meetings, conferences and training courses as agreed with the line manager.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, managers, directors and the general public.
- Assist staff in other departments and regions as required in order to facilitate the work of the charity.
- Other duties as per the request of the Fundraising & Communications Director in the interest of the organisation objectives.
The job description is not intended to be exhaustive and it is likely that duties may be altered from time to time in the light of changing circumstances and after consultation with the post holder.
How to Apply
Please apply before the closing date by sending your CV and covering letter via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Should you fail to hear back from us within 4-6 weeks please assume your application has been unsuccessful.