Director of Programmes
We are looking for a dynamic candidate who is passionate about international development to join our Programmes Department.
- Responsible for the delivery of our international and domestic programmes, ensuring programme effectiveness through our UK HQ, Country offices and partner teams
- Create and influence the International programmes strategy in line with Human Appeal’s vision, mission and core values
- Delivery of the programmes operational plan and ensuring alignment with Human Appeal’s strategic plan
- Develop Human Appeal’s Humanitarian response department alongside the Humanitarian Manager, and provide guidance in terms of strategy, deployment and resource mobilisation.
- Provide leadership in Human Appeal’s strategic direction in the area of organisational policy analysis, research and advocacy
- Oversight of Strategic partnership initiatives and resource mobilisation, through institutional funding, partner organisations and High net worth individuals
- Overall responsibility for Programme Compliance, including managing HAI’s Risk framework through robust risk policies and procedures
- Ensure Human Appeal programmes harness the correct balance between Humanitarian response vs Sustainable development, in line with the new sustainable development goals.
- Ensure the capacity building of Human Appeal Offices/Missions with the appropriate technical skills, systems and thematic training
- Responsible for staff performance and learning globally
- Monitoring structure, workflows, processes, and systems to ensure these are fit for purpose at all times, with responsibility for introducing such changes as appropriate from time to time
- Building and managing strategic partnerships and alliances with like-minded organisations globally on delivery and sector-wide issues
- Raising the profile of the charity in the sector through networking and representing it on the appropriate platforms
- Responsible for periodic budget setting and ensuring optimal annual spend
- Work with the Chief Executive, Board of Trustees and other departments to create new strategies for the Charity
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- To be available for travel to overseas locations to assess projects as required by the organisation
- To liaise with other agencies, partners and organisations as appropriate to ensure the delivery of the most effective aid and development to beneficiaries
- To ensure overseas offices and programmes receive the best support possible from Human Appeal.
- Assist staff in other departments as required in order to facilitate the work of the charity
- Help arrange and participate in meetings, conferences and team activities
- Adhere to stated policies and procedures as per the company handbook, health and safety requirements Investor in People standard and Quality management system
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, managers and the general public.
- Other duties as per the request of the CEO in the interest of the organisation’s objectives
- Must adhere to the charities policies and procedures, e.g. Health & Safety at Work, Freedom of Information Act 2000, Data Protection Act 1998, Equal Opportunities, Company Handbook, Quality Management System, Investor in People etc. at all times
- Will respect the confidentiality of all matters relating to their employment and other members of staff
- To demonstrate on-going professional development through reflective practice and participation in internal and external development opportunities as evidenced in a Continuing Professional Development portfolio
- To participate in the appraisal process and ensure that agreed objectives are achieved, taking responsibility for directing own learning and development activities (e.g. private study, e-learning)
- To attend and contribute positively to meetings, conferences and training courses as agreed with the line manager
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, managers, directors and the general public
- Assist staff in other departments and regions as required in order to facilitate the work of the charity
- Other duties as per the request of the Chief Executive and Board of Trustees in the interest of the organisation objectives
- The job description is not intended to be exhaustive and it is likely that duties may be altered from time to time in the light of changing circumstances and after consultation with the post holder
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- A minimum of 10 years senior level management experience with proven track record of delivery
- Strong programme management skills and initiative
- Experience of designing/writing/evaluating project proposals, log frames, budgets and work plans
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and prioritise a complicated workload
- Knowledge of Islamic financial matters (Zakat, Wakf, Qurbani etc.) is an advantage.
- Excellent knowledge of all Microsoft Office applications
- Oral and written fluency in English, while knowledge of additional languages, Arabic and French is an advantage.
- Good interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent project management skills
- Ability to travel overseas regularly and at short notice
- Excellence networking and influencing skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills
- Good organisation skills
- Commitment to community and social development values
- Self-motivated and an ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Good independent judgement, strategic vision and ability to challenge constructively
- Tolerant of the views and opinions of others
- A creative individual who can galvanise staff and volunteers to overcome challenges and provide solutions laterally
- Committed to Human Appeal values and code of conduct
How to Apply:
Please apply before the closing date by sending your CV and covering letter via email to: email@example.com