Director of Fundraising and Communication
We are looking for a dynamic candidate who is passionate about international development to lead our Fundraising & Communication Department.
- To lead the development and implementation of strategies for fundraising and communications. As a member of the Director’s team to take collective responsibility for the organisation’s leadership, management and development. The post holder will work closely with the CEO and other Board of Directors.
- Responsible for the growth of fundraising across a diverse income stream by leading and implementing new strategies and plans. The post holder will work closely with the CEO and other Directors.
- To develop partnerships and supporter relationships and improve the understanding of the impact of Human Appeal.
- To attend and contribute positively to meetings, conferences and training courses as agreed with the CEO
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, managers, directors and other stakeholders.
- Other duties as per the request of the CEO in the interest of the organisation’s objectives.
Include but not limited to;
- Responsible for cascading and aligning the organisation’s mission, vision and values and direction through the use of clear and articulate communications.
- Translates and implement the organisational strategy and objectives, into organisational service plans and key performance indicators as part of planning and operational processes.
- Ensures agreed organisational policies on fundraising and communications are followed and implemented.
Leadership and Management
- Act as a key change agent, reinforcing HA’s mission, vision and values and make informed decisions.
- To promote and oversee the performance management framework, promoting a culture of high performance, continuous improvement, positive communication and teamwork.
Fundraising and Communications
- To lead the development and implementation of the fundraising and communications strategy that underpins the charity’s strategic goals to support the continued income growth in a sustainable manner across all income streams, with emphasis on unrestricted funds.
- To lead the development and implementation of a fundraising and communications plans, which includes key activities (seasonal and emergency campaigns), areas for investment, KPIs as well as projected growth of fundraising income.
- To work closely with Directors of affiliated Partners to improve and support their fundraising and communication strategies, plans and KPIs as well as project income growth.
- To expand and improve digital platforms as a basis for growth of fundraising and communications.
- Establish a range of new income streams, which the particular emphasis of High Net Worth donor base and the use of digital technology.
- To lead the development of regional fundraising and communications to create and engage grass root communities and to use these communities to recruit new supporters and accelerating the growth of community fundraising.
- Establish structure, processes, competencies and systems to ensure that the fundraising department is fully equipped for further growth, establish a diversified and sustainable income base.
- Grow income from events and manage key donor relationships.
- Inspire and develop all members of the Fundraising and Communications departments.
- To lead the development and implementation of Human Appeal’s communication maximising impact in support of campaigning and marketing whilst safeguarding Human Appeal’s brand and reputation.
- Regularly benchmark Human Appeal’s fundraising and communications across the sector ensuring Human Appeal demonstrates value for money and best practice, whilst also seeking new, creative and sector-leading approaches.
- Ensure Human Appeal is compliant with legislation covering fundraising and communication activities and is adhering to best practice.
- Work closely with the CEO and the director team to provide leadership to the organisation as a whole.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the strategic plans of the Human Appeal.
- To be a spokesperson for Human Appeal, to give talks and media interviews about Human Appeal’s work and proactively seek out those opportunities.
- To develop key relationships and ways of working with stakeholder engagement
- External stakeholders, peers in the INGO sector, common interest groups, governments and donors.
- Value practice – a strong commitment to develop, promote and practice HA’s values, vision, mission, and strategy.
- Collaboration – proactively leverage on cross functional learning.
The job description is not intended to be exhaustive and it is likely that duties may be altered from time to time in the light of changing circumstances and after consultation with the post holder.
Knowledge & Experience
- Proven extensive senior management experience in communications and fundraising, with a demonstrate track record of successful results.
- Proven successful experience of developing and implementing fundraising strategy that has contributed to income growth and established a more diversified and sustainable income base.
- Proven experience of successfully leading the development and implementation of strategic goals and KPI framework and the development of reporting in line with the long term goals of Human Appeal.
- Proven experience in multi-stakeholder management in a multi-cultural context.
- Listening, learning, empowering and results-oriented leadership style and management practice.
- Excellent communicator with experience in the external public engagement and media relations, with public speaking skills.
- Demonstrable ability to understand how digital strategies and community fundraising can successfully support the charity.
- Physical and emotional stamina to work under pressure.
- A commitment to collective leadership
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to speak and communicate in English fluently.
- Ability to influence cross functionally both peers and multiple teams.
- Ability to clearly analyse and articulate the depth of understanding on topic areas in remit.
- Flexible working approach
- Ability to travel up to 16 weeks annually, sometimes at short notice.
- Public speaking and presentation skills.
- Ability to speak other languages
- Graduate/ Bachelor’s degree
How to Apply
Please apply before the closing date by sending your CV and covering letter via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: if you fail to hear back from us within 8 weeks please assume your application has been unsuccessful.
All applicants must have the right to work in the UK.